One thing I always tell my clients: "If your immediate family supports your goals - you can do ANYTHING!" These are the people you are surrounded by the most, so what is better than getting them involved and headed in a similar direction toward health?
As a nutritionist, I cannot emphasize this enough. Here are a few tips to getting your family on the same track with their health:
Tip 1: Pick at least 1 to 2 nights each week that you cook and eat dinner together. Commit to these nights in advance and be protective of them - don't plan anything else. All kids LOVE pizza and soda, right? How about getting everyone in the kitchen and making this recipe for a healthy pizza and having Zevia Soda (soda sweetened with Stevia instead of sugar...) instead of regular soda?
- 1 pre-made Pizza Crust (prefer white over wheat)
- 1 jar Muir Glen Marinara Sauce
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmasean Cheese
- 1 cup fresh grated Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup chopped Broccoli
- 1 cup chopped Spinach
- 1 cup roasted chicken breast, shredded
- Let the kids have some fun and cover the pizza crust with the above ingredients, any way they'd like! You can't mess this up!
- Bake in the oven per the pizza crust instructions.
- Serve with Zevia Soda (any flavor is great!) and enjoy!
Tip 2: Let all members of the family be involved in the menu planning process. This will teach the kids about nutrition and how to put meals together for themselves at some point.
Tip 3: Whether I am working with a 10 year old, an 80 year old or any age in between - I ALWAYS suggest a GREEN Vegetable at Lunch and Dinner. One way to bring the family together and get everyone to "eat their greens" is to let one member of the family pick the vegetable and the way it is prepared each day/night.