Clients often tell me that they are hungriest after their swim workouts! It is a constant, full body movement and for most of us, it is our weakness, thus, we have to work that much harder at it. Take this scenario into the open water and not only is it a full body workout, but it is a huge mental challenge as well. Open water swimming usually takes much more energy than a pool swim, so fueling properly is important! Here are a few tips to fuel you through your next open water swim and follow it with a great bike and run...
- Eat a good breakfast about 90 minutes prior to your swim start. I suggest something easily digested, like a shake. A great recipe would be:
- 8-10oz Unsweetened Almond or Coconut Milk
- 1/2 scoop High Quality Protein Powder (MRM Whey or Vega Plant Based are my two favorites!)
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil or freshly ground Almond Butter
- 1 cup fresh or frozen Berries
- 1 LARGE Handful fresh Spinach (you'll never taste it!)
- Blend with a little ice and you're good to go!
- About 15 minutes before you get in the water, consider having some nutrition that will give you quick energy; something easy to digest in the form of carbohydrates... I suggest 1 tbsp of Raw, Local Honey mixed with 4-6oz Water. A gel could work too, but you will get more nutrition out of the Raw, Local Honey.
- From there, follow through with your typical nutrition regimen for the bike and run... Starting out the way I've discussed above, will help you all the way through the last step of the run!
For more information on training nutrition, please email Coach Alix at firstname.lastname@example.org.