I use the below Bike Speed Workout with my clients for the following reasons:
- It is a great benchmark of fitness for the early season.
- It will show how your heart rate and power correlate (how much effort it takes to the produce the same power through fatigue as the session repeats).
- Last but not least it shows the clients cadence comfort zone (does the athlete mash or work the cadence to produce the same power through fatigue during the workout).
BIKE SPEED WORKOUT-
*This workout can be done as shown below or within a long ride, dependent on the your goals or A race.
5min warm up
5min: 15-20sec pick up pace through high cadence 100+rpm / 40-45sec easy recovery spin
MAIN SET- repeat 3x's:
4min @ 40k effort/ goal watts (mid RP watts)
1min @ IM or training pace effort/ watts
3min @ 40-20k effort/ goal watts (top RP watts)
2min @ IM or training pace effort/ watts
10min @ 20k effort/ goal watts (top RP-HARD watts)
5min recovery spin
5min easy spin cool down
I like this workout for my clients because it tests the athlete Physically, Metabolically and Mentally.
- PHYSICALLY: can they sustain the race goal watts/effort, and at what point in the workout do they breakdown. If the athlete does breakdown that will give me as a coach a better understanding what workouts they need between the benchmark and the race.
- METABOLICALLY: This workout allows the athlete to practice hydration, electrolyte, and fueling needed for race specific efforts as well as trying different fuel sources and timing of those sources.
- MENTALLY: Can the client sustain the focus needed throughout the duration of the workout and their race goal
See you on the Bike!