So... it’s hot... it’s really freaking hot!
Athletes come to me everyday in need of *at times totally bitching:) about the temps and then the real problem- they can’t seem to stomach much because it’s 100+ outside and nothing sits well. Here are a couple, no it is not the complete guide, but very easy items to grab at your local grocery.
These simple guidelines will help your entire system absorb and utilize fuel more efficiently.
1. Water- increase to 6-8oz every hour, outside of the workouts
2. NUUN or another form of calorie-free electrolyte drink/drops- 1x in the AM & 1x at PM
3. Incorporate Tart Cherry Juice - suggest 6-8oz daily, personally enjoy ‘cutting the acidity’ by adding at least 8oz of water = roughly 16oz fluid total
4. Bone Broth- 8oz daily
5. Turmeric, Ginger, Honey, Lemon Tea to reduce inflammation- 1tbsp each: turmeric, ginger, honey, & 1/4lemon in 3cups of boiling water, let it steep for 15’, strain and knock it back
Selecting foods that are naturally rich in vitamins/ minerals are essential in feeling your best.
1. Include as many foods with high water content: watermelon, cucumber, tomato, celery, romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli
2. Decrease processed foods to less than 400cal/day: breads, pastas, tortillas, sweets, and yes even your protein powders- we want our ‘machines’ running on pure and natural foods. “The closer to the ground, the better.”
3. Select foods that are naturally rich in vitamins/ minerals are essential in feeling your best:
A. Potassium- Sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, zucchini, avocado, bananas, kiwis, oranges, cantaloupe
B. Magnesium- Spinach, seeds (squash/pumpkin), brown rice, almonds, dark chocolate, avocado, bananas
C. Calcium- Collard greens, broccoli, kale, edamame, figs, oranges, salmon, sardines, white beans, okra, almonds
4. Lastly, grab some lean protein sources, such as- grass-fed beef, freshwater fish high in Omegas (salmon, tuna, sardines), free range chicken just to name a few.
Here’s to ‘stuffing’ our faces this summer!